Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Keeping the kids occupied!

Now that a lot of the kids are out of school due to the summer break, a friend asked me if I had any ideas on how to keep them occupied and out of her hair.... lol!  Why ask me, well, I have 4 children and 1 grandson.  Recently we found out that there is a 2nd grandbaby on the way!  I can't believe I am a grandmother at my age, but in truth it is a totally awesome experience, especially since it has been proven that the mothers curse really works!  There were many times when my own mother told me, 'when you are old enough to have children, I pray they act exactly the way you do so you will know why I am pulling out my hair!'... I caught myself proclaiming the same curse to my son on occasion. lol!

I guess the best advice I can provide would be to actually spend time with them, both as a group and individually.

I doesn't mean that you have to spend every moment that they are awake keeping them occupied, children should learn the ability to keep themselves occupied as well, preferably without the use of video games, tv, movies, etc...  You may have to introduce them to alternate forms of entertainment, board games, puzzles, reading, writing, drawing, etc.... but look at it as the perfect opportunity to get to know your kids and perhaps a little something extra about yourself that you didn't know prior.


However, before you send your child off to entertain themselves, please ensure that you are aware of what they are doing and/or where it is being done, although we may tend to 'age-appropriate' the amount of control or freedom that we allow our children, as a parent, overly cautious is pretty much the standard in todays world, unfortunately!


So enough of the jibber-jabber right, what kind of things can you do with children during the summer months when they are out of school?  Surprisingly and contrary to belief, there is a lot of things to do, even if your finances are scarce.

One of the greatest inventions created when it comes to kids, in my opinion would have to be disposable or digital cameras.  If your children are quite rambunctious, definitely use a disposable one!  Otherwise, it's great to see the end result of what your children consider something worth saving.  From the top of a shoe to a thumb over the lens, it is sure to start a great conversation.


Find a local park, beach or even a walk around the block.  Take them out and let them run around, climb the trees, go on a nature hike, let them roll around in the grass and dirt, set them up with a nature treasure map, let them make some of the decisions for a picnic basket that you take for lunch (be prepared for marshmallows and chips galore!).  More importantly, let them be kids.  Allowing the kids to pull out the tents and sleeping bags for a night of 'backyard' camping can do wonders for their esteem and enjoyment.  Although it may seem like a lot of work to get everything ready, lanterns, flashlights, snacks, etc... let them be in control of what they need, to a point of course.


Basically when all is said and done, make their summer vacation an opportunity to get to know your kids again and vice versa.  Enjoy!

******************************************

            






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment! Once I am able to hit the approved button after peeling myself off the damn leather chair I decided to sit in while wearing shorts, your comment should appear.